My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://evanlucas.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Jerry Who?


Since I was a kid, I have always loved going to the supermarket and doing the food shopping. There is just something about the supermarket that I have always and will always love. So even today, in Vermont, I jump at the chance to "go into town" and get food for dinner. It has made me think about why I like the supermarket so much and I think it has to do with my love of cooking. So much possibility exists at a food store. You can put together most any meal with the ingredients all confined in this one building. Exciting, no? I know plenty of people who hate to go food shopping, they despise it. The other reason I like food shopping is the scene. Squeezing fruit, calling out numbers, complaining, the pharmacist, cleanup in aisle 6,the announcements,the shopping cart, and overheard conversations. Which brings me to the conversation I witnessed last night at Shaws.

The guy in front of me was getting ready to pay for his few items and the checkout guy turns to him:

Checkout man: Do you have a house at Stratton?
Customer: No
Checkout man: Really? You look so familiar.
Customer: Yeah, I've been told I have a familiar face.
Checkout man: Wait, are you Jerry Vale?
Customer: The singer?
Checkout man: Yes.
Customer: No, is he even alive?
Checkout man: I'm not sure. The last time I saw him was on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Since I didn't know who Jerry Vale is, I looked him up and put his photo at the start of today's entry. And yes, according to Wikipedia he is still alive.

It was my turn to step up to the Checkout man and surprise, surprise I turn to him and say "So, who do I look like". He ponders for a minute and then immediately says, "Albert Brooks". Which is funny because not only am I a huge fan of Albert Brooks, but when I worked for Letterman, his assistant used to tell me that Dave called me Albert Brooks. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. After this encounter I wondered if this checkout guy had this shtick as a way to strike up conversations with people. The old, aren't you... Hey, aren't you Debbie from High School high, remember me? Rick? Sorry, you look just like my high school girlfriend. Wanna grab a drink?

I am currently sitting by the window looking out at the sun-drenched mountains protecting the meadows below. I can see how writers sometimes need to get away from the hustle and bustle and write in a place of beauty. I have already taken a bunch of photos and am looking forward to taking more. Friday we are heading to Saratoga to go to the races so that will be a lot of fun. Lots of walking, bike riding and blueberry picking to come. Stay tuned.

No comments: