My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://evanlucas.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Inkheart left me with no heart


Don't get me wrong, I love movie premieres. The glitz, the glamour, the press, flash...flash, the red carpet, the free snacks, the excitement. Adam and I went to the premiere of Inkheart last night. I had never read the book and had no idea what the movie was about. For those of you who don't know, Inkheart is a young adult fantasy novel by German author Cornelia Funke and is the first book of the Inkworld trilogy. Oh yes, they plan on making movie sequels as well but I'm not sure they will follow through with that plan after the reviews come out for this one. The other books in the series are Inkspell and Inkdeath, something which I think I experienced 10 minutes into this film.

We made it to our assigned seats, grabbed our free snacks on the way in and wondered whether Brendan Fraser was going to watch the movie. If I were him, I don't think I could bear watching myself this time around. I was hoping for something satisfying, something that kids and adults could enjoy. Is that too much to ask for? Adam pointed to the fact that this was the first Brendan Fraser movie he would be seeing in the theatre and I'm almost definite it will also be the last. The great Helen Mirren and Jim Broadbent's talents were wasted in this film. And Jennifer Connelly appears for a few brief seconds.

I powered off my cellphone and eventually the movie began. Here's the basic premise of the film directly from IMDB:

An adventure of a father and his young daughter, searching for a long lost book that will help reunite a missing, close relative, this fantasy takes a darker side whenever we hear Mo 'Silvertongue' Folchart reading out aloud from books. His ability to rise to life, to export, to release figures out of the page and into the real world is only relevant when the darker side of his stories appear to reek havoc and destruction. Join in the fantasy and revel at the marvel of Books in this adventure of adventures' that brings the best stories throughout the decades to life that transcends beyond imagine.

Intrigued? I sat through the film wishing myself into a book, any book. For being in any book would have been better than watching this movie. When the end credits started to roll, not only did I feel lifeless but my cellphone wouldn't turn on, the battery was dead. This film drained the life from my little buddy.

For all of you who always say I like every movie, I hope you are reading this post. I don't like every movie. I was trying to think of one positive thing to say about this film and I can't think of anything. If you want to see a movie in theaters, go check out one of the many great films now playing and skip Inkheart.

No comments: