My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://evanlucas.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Da Da Dadaa Da Da da Da


I hope you had a wonderful weekend! I'd like to start the service this morning with an event that happened on the train this morning. Just as one side of the doors started to close, a man and woman came rushing in. He jumped through but his girlfriend got stuck in the closing doors, he tried to push the doors open but he couldn't. Her body was stuck so she pulled herself out and then her foot was stuck. Everyone waited for the door to open so that she could free herself from the door's grip, but it wasn't opening. A big guy jumped up and tried to help but the door just wasn't budging. Then, panic. The bell sounded which meant the door on the other side was about to close. The boyfriend lunged toward the door hoping to get out to signal the conductor but that door closed on his foot. His girlfriend freed herself and he struggled and then pulled his foot out. The train departed separating the two, he on the train with his Golf Magazine and she, probably angry and upset about the entire incident. He turned to the woman next to me and said, "I have a feeling we'll be having a conversation later" meaning, he was in trouble. But I was ready. I was ready to jump out of my seat and pull any emergency lever or pulley I could find. It would have delayed the commute, but a woman's life was in danger. All the AM papers would hail me a hero. People would give up their seats to me, let me hold their babies, invite me over for dinner and to watch a movie. "Hoboken Hero" the papers would read. Who am I kidding? Gentleman, let this be a lesson to you. Always let your girlfriend or boyfriend onto the train first, especially if you know the door is about to close. That's rule #1.

So yesterday, in addition to a great photo shoot, I went to check out the Moon Dance on the Hudson. That's right, grab your partner and head over to Pier 54 where you get a dance lesson (last night was Swing) and then you can dance the night away to a live band. A lot of fun and some really great people watching. I stepped on about 5 people's feet because in addition to the crowded dance floor, people just stand around the border and watch. Once we left the floor up by the band and danced through the crowd of dancers, we saw that the chairs that were set up were filled with spectators. I had a great time and am now considering taking dancing lessons. That's right, I said it. Rock, step, one..two..three. Rock, step, one...two..three..kick,kick,kick,kick, Rock, step lift your arm and twirl. And while we're on the topic of moon dancing:

LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. - The pants were down but so was the size of the crowd for a bizarre ritual in Southern California.

It's the annual "Moon Over Amtrak" event in the Orange County community of Laguna Niguel in which people line up to moon passing commuter trains.

It began as a bar bet in 1979 and has continued ever since.

Sheriff's Lt. Ted Boyne says as many as 400 people showed up for Saturday's mass mooning. Last year, about 8,000 showed up, mostly out-of-towners. And deputies shut it down after things got ugly, with traffic jams, drinking and public nudity.

This year's crowd in contrast is described as mellow. A couple of cars got towed, but deputies say nobody got drunk and there were no arrests.


And then there are the moon walkers.


Nothing thrills me more than watching The Food Network when I'm at the gym. People will say, "Evan, how can you watch food when you are trying to work out", but I love it. I usually will get an idea for something I can make for dinner such as the Lobster Pot Pie and Chocolate Gelato that Ina Garten made her her husband since she would be going away and he is apparently incapable of making himself something. I mean, come on. My favorite line came when she was making the puff pastry for the pot pie, she was adding some chunks of lard and said it really quickly, "I'mjustgoingtoaddsomelardnow, don't ask". All of this is a lead-in to a site Lauren shared with me. For you Food Network fans out there, you're going to love this dish.

I now leave you with this:

No comments: