My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://evanlucas.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools!~



It's April 1st, April Fools Day, a day when kids all around the country are sticking tacks on chairs, giving out gum that tastes like pepper, quickly shoving a whoopee cushion on their classmate's chair. It's a great day, and if you are a Gmail user, you will see the fun they are having today!

I try to be a nice guy. I try to be friendly, courteous and to smile, but I've learned from working in NYC how to be mean, aggressive, unfriendly... Why am I bringing this up? Some days I rush to make a five twenty train. Its not easy and I usually make it just in time to snag a seat for my hour ride. Last night, I reached the front car to find that all the seats had been filled except for a few middle seats in the three seaters. Those are the worst. I came upon one of the awkward four seaters, two two-seaters facing each other but with no leg room in between. There was a woman sitting there and as I sat down she looked up and the following dialogue took place:

Her: I'm saving this seat for someone.
Me: Well there aren't any other seats and your friend can sit right here (I gestured to the seat next to me) I'm sorry.

Her: a look of disgust.

Me: looking pleased with myself.



The guy, her friend, did show up and I recognized them. They along with a bunch of others usually take over the front car like a bunch of gang members. Opening beer bottles with a nook in the ceiling. Laughing, talking loudly, cavorting. Well only two of them were on the train last night and I wasn't going to let them bully me out of a seat. Thanks for toughening me up NYC. And lady, if I see you again, I'll be sure to choose the seat next to you, even if there are other seats open.

Once I sat down and stayed there, I put on my ipod and listened to the new cd by She and Him. Boaz introduced me to them after seeing them perform at SXSW. I thought he only liked them because it was Zooey Deschanel but they are really good and she is great.

The She & Him story begins when in 2006 , renowned one man band M. Ward, recorded a duet with a girl named Zooey Deschanel. A delightful recording session, the experience lead to a dialogue between the two about collaborating further. This, in turn, led to Deschanel admitting to secretly making dozens and dozens of home demos and hoarding them like acorns for the winter. Sick and tired of being stingy and secretive about music, Deschanel realized that if songs were acorns then this was indeed her wintertime: she sent the recordings to Ward and these demos became the basis for their first record, entitled Volume One.

I highly recommend checking out their album, Volume One.

And, if you are feeling the need to watch an old episode of Fantasy Island, check out Hulu! You'll find a bunch of television and movies to watch there.

No comments: