My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://evanlucas.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Early Bird Gets the Worm


I hate to re-read a book when I have piles and piles of books that I haven't read yet, but Early Bird: A Memoir of Premature Retirement by Rodney Rothman, is a book that deserves a second reading.

"What happens when an able-bodied 28-year-old decides to "retire" in a Florida senior community? It may seem like the setup for a Carl Hiaasen novel, but it's actually the project Rothman thinks up after losing his television job. Following through with his plan, Rothman comically probes Boca Raton's Century Village. He infiltrates the social hierarchy of the "pool group," eats dinner at the local early-bird specials and joins a shuffleboard club. He captures these experiences in short, humorous chapters, consistently detailing his own physical and mental failings compared to the seniors he meets."

It's a quick and fun read and I encourage you to check it out if you haven't already done so. I'm seeing Blades of Glorytonight with Elissa and I'm hoping it's somewhat funny. I find that both Jon Heder and Will Ferrell can get on one's nerves.

No comments: