My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://evanlucas.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

And Away We Go...


No, this is not a review of the Pixar film, Up. Away We Go is the new film directed by the talented Sam Mendes and written by Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida which opens in select theaters this Friday.

At least once in our lives we have taken to the road for a roadtrip, whether across the country or to a neighboring state. It can feel good to stop your everyday life and go out exploring. On Sunday, I will be joining the Un-Road Trip and will end up in Ontario, Canada. You can follow the journey at www.unroadtrip.com. Away We Go is in essence a roadtrip film, one that you aren't going to want to miss.

Burt Farlander (John Krasinski) and Verona De Tessant (Maya Rudolph)are expecting their first child. They suddenly find themselves with no close family and decide to hit the road in search of a "home" and along the way encounter some of their over-the-top relatives. In the end, Burt and Verona find a place to call home and learn more about parenting than they would have just by reading What To Expect When You're Expecting.

I'd like to alert you to the first scene in this movie, my "Awkward Parent Moment". If you go see this movie with your parents just a warning that some of you may be embarrassed or feel awkward. This might help however. Last night at the screening, a gentleman with glasses remarked, "I don't understand why Burt's character is always wearing glasses. In the first scene, I don't know anyone who would wear glasses when they are doing that."

John Krasinski is the actor who really carries this film along with the amazing, amazing, amazing talent who have small but really meaty and interesting roles. The performances given by Catherine O'Hara, Jeff Danniels, Allison Janney, Jim Gaffigan and Maggie Gyllenhaal are just superb. I hope we start seeing more of Catherine O'Hara. I've missed seeing her on the big screen lately. These actors were handed some really great material and they ran with it.

I'm not surprised how well written the script was for this film, because anything Dave Eggers touches turns to gold. He also co-wrote Where The Wild Things Are, which is the one film I am most looking forward to. Songs for this film were written and performed by Alexi Murdoch. This movie has a lot of feeling and the music complements this perfectly adding to the already existent moodiness.

I found myself laughing out loud during many scenes in this film and I have some favorite moments which I don't want to spoil for you. Let's just say I will never be able to look at a stroller again without thinking about this film.

If you like smart, well written and really funny films, you will enjoy Away We Go. Tell your friends.

No comments: