My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://evanlucas.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Alas, poor Yorick.


Friday night, after a sushi dinner which did not look like our current president's face, I had the pleasure of seeing Hamlet on Broadway starring the oh-so-British Jude Law. While I was disappointed Jude didn't break into his Shania chicken salad story, I was pleasantly surprised by his Hamlet and the overall production. Clocking in at over 3 hours, I did become sleepy during some points but was quickly awakened when the guy in front of me leaned back to put his arm around his girlfriend. Yes, there wasn't much leg room, but the play's the thing. It was a great evening and added something new to my Broadway portfolio.

This weekend also brought me to see the new Spike Jonze work, Where The Wild Things Are. I was so excited for this film, ever since I saw the trailer that was so amazingly edited. And that's the problem. That trailer was too good. I was really disappointed with this film on many levels. I will say that Jim Henson's Creature Shop is to be applauded for amazing, amazing costumes. Other than that, this movie did not do it for me. I felt that Spike Jonze used this movie as an outlet for his own familial issues which is fine, but during the whole movie I don't think I felt good once. I found the monsters to be annoying and not at all interesting. Yes, Max's imaginary world mimicked his real life but who cares? This story goes nowhere and I could not wait for Max to return home. Maybe I was too tired when I saw this film and I'll give it a second chance when it arrives on DVD. In the meantime, I will continue to cherish the book and recommend you do the same.

No comments: