My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://evanlucas.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Xanadu or Xanadon't



After a visit to the dentist to get a filling replaced, Elissa and I went to see Xanadu on Broadway, my mouth still numb from the novocaine. The $5 million dollar show is still in previews and I couldn't pass up free tickets to see it. I have never seen the movie but have heard about its cult following. In the film, the mysterious Kira (Olivia Newton-John) appears to assist and inspire a young artist, Sonny Malone (Michael Beck). When she helps him meet up with the rich Danny McGuire (Gene Kelly), the two join up together to create an artistic and business success, an unique club called "Xanadu."

Sound campy and fun? Well, it is. The show is nothing but fluff but it's very enjoyable. They poked fun at the movie and I'm sure many of the references flew right over our heads. The music was great as was the rollar skating, singing, costumes, sets, and special effects. Even though neither of us had seen the film version, there were a few songs that we recognized. The show flows well and is only 90 minutes with no intermission, just long enough for a shot of novocaine to wear off. I'm ready to open my own disco rollerskating joint after seeing this show. It'll be interesting to see what the reviews say. I'll admit that I really had a great time! And now, a clip from the movie!




PS. Don't you want an iphone?

No comments: